Every business that’s going to be shipping cold, perishable, and frozen foods directly to consumers needs to be aware of the major challenges associated with this undertaking There is a lot more to consider beyond just making sure that products arrive at their destinations on time and intact. Numerous other logistical problems will need to be addressed that most people are likely not aware of.
This is why many companies decide to employ the help of a logistics consultant to help navigate the challenges of creating a direct-to-consumer ecommerce program which includes finding and ultimately selecting the best frozen foods shipping partner.
With that being said, it is important to note what you’ll need to consider when looking for a frozen food logistics consultant. In this post, we are going to identify a multitude of important points to ponder when hiring a frozen foods logistics consultant. Let’s begin!
1. Will Your Consultant Provide These Services?
It is critical for companies to find a consultant who will not only be able to identify your exact needs, but help you set realistically achievable goals for your business to be profitable. Some of the services that the consultant should be able to provide include:
- Shipment and Sales Forecasting: You need to understand how to balance your inventory with the demand for products. A good consultant should be able to provide you with shipment and sales forecasts that will help you manage your inventory and set realistic sales expectations.
- Marketing Support: The consultant should also be able to provide you with marketing support and can either work with your existing team or bring in a competent team to help you succeed. By helping to develop a marketing plan that has been customized to meet your needs, the consultant should be able to work directly with marketing and sales teams to make sure the plan is properly implemented.
- Contract Negotiations: Your frozen food logistics consultant should also be able to help you with 3PL contract negotiation to make sure that you are partnering with a competent logistics company that offers reasonable rates. The consultant should even be able to help you generate an RFP (Request for Proposal) that can be sent to the 3PL to ensure they offer you an accurate quote.
The consultant will make sure that you are able to locate a 3PL that is able to meet your exact needs. More often than not, the consultant has existing relationships with all the top players in the space and can ensure you partner with the right frozen food shipping company.
2. Will Your Consultant Help with Shipping Materials Selection?
- First, you should work with your consultant to determine the best type of box for your product.
- Then, your consultant should be able to help you find an insulated box liner that will work well for your product.
- After this, your consultant should work with you to make sure that package is sealed appropriately and has the necessary branding.
- Finally, you should be able to work hand in hand with your consultant to determine the right type of refrigerant for your box while also adding an appropriate warning label.
After helping you source all the needed shipping and packing materials, the consultant can also assist in creating a pack-out guide, which outlines the steps the 3PL will follow to pick and pack your item prior to shipping. Pack out guide creation is an essential skill that a frozen food consultant brings to the table.
3. Can Your Consultant Set You Up for Success in the Future?
Finally, your frozen food consultant should also be able to help you set your business up for success both now and in the future. They should be able to take a look at your current operations to help you save time, minimize mistakes, and provide fast to market scalability along with 360-degree solutions to address all of your current challenges.
In addition to helping your business grow, your frozen foods consultant should also be able to help you position your company appropriately in the industry. This means taking a look at your competitors, keeping up with changing rules, and helping you react to a dynamic marketplace to help you develop a strong nationwide presence. This may include positioning you in multiple 3PL facilities to ensure timely delivery at an affordable cost.
Partner with Gray Growth Logistics
If you are looking for a trained and experienced consultant who can help you develop a frozen food logistics program, look no further than Gray Growth Logistics. At Gray Growth Logistics, we put the needs of our clients ahead of our own. We understand that you face a number of challenges when it comes to your frozen and perishable food operations and supply chain management. We will work closely with you to customize our services to meet your needs. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you!